Jennifer Hudson Joins Spotify’s “Black Girl Songbook” For Season 2 Finale

 In the latest episode of Black Girl Songbook, A Spotify Original from The Ringer, Emmy, Grammy, Oscar award-winning star Jennifer Hudson joins host Danyel Smith for the podcast’s season two finale to discuss embodying the late Aretha Franklin in the new biopic “Respect.” 

Black Girl Songbook podcast logo

 

Hudson reflects on jumping into the Executive Producer seat for the movie project that has already nabbed her prestigious awards and more. Hudson also discusses Aretha Franklin handpicking her for this role and her advice to young women. 

In addition, in honor of the 25th Chapter, Danyel Smith reflects on some of this season’s biggest episodes from Beyoncé's 40th B’Day Party to Rihanna: She Found Love and Herself and Aaliyah: Truly One in a Million. These conversations Smith shared with listeners showcases her commitment to uplifting women of color in the music industry and amplifying their accomplishments through these past 25 empowering chapters. 

As Danyel Smith says, "Black Girl Songbook is the space where you hear black women’s stories, the place where you hear the music of black women. Black Girl Songbook is where you hear, and you feel black women creatives receiving the credit that they are due."

 Key Moments: Black Girl Songbook - Chapter 25

   

Jennifer Hudson on embodying the late Aretha Franklin in the new biopic “Respect” and being Executive Producer:

Danyel: “Can you talk to me about how that [being Executive Producer] came about and what does that mean for you to have that role [Executive Producer]...I mean that’s pretty much one of the highest roles that you could have on any film?”

Jennifer: “You know..I guess you’re right. I just think because this project hits different for me. You know it’s like it’s the most personal project to me and so I wanted to make sure that I was involved in any and every way possible so that I could be hands on and I think that is where the executive producing part came in because I want to say it’s maybe my first or within one of the three of my first times being a producer or executive producer on a project. And this gave me access to things you normally wouldn't have access to as just as an actor. Meaning just having more of a say so, being a part of the casting being a part of putting more input in of how to tell the story. Or being able to add things where you get more of a say so…I got to pick a lot of the music.”

 

Jennifer Hudson on working with ​​Marlon Wayans, who played Ted White in the film: 

Danyel: “First of all I didn’t know Marlon had that much bass in his voice..is that his real voice I must know Jennifer Hudson! Is that his speaking voice? Is that his ‘hey J Hud what’s going on..”

Jennifer: “No, because he approached it as Ted like we had Tom Jones’ dialect coach. People spoke a different way back then and they had their own cadence, their own accents and things like that, textures and styles of the voice. So we did work with a dialect coach to gather our Ted and Aretha sound. Now Marlon.. he speaks at a..you know Marlon is very expressive you know he’s a comedian and he’s full of energy but he took his character very seriously. And I remember him referencing those old school movies, interpretations and stuff like that I’m sure that was a reference for him and his portrayal.”

 

Jennifer Hudson on the late Aretha Franklin hand picking her for the “Respect” biopic where she portrays the icon herself and reflects on conversations with Aretha:

Jennifer: “Aretha saw so much more in me than I did in myself. It went beyond Jennifer sings  and Jennifer acts. I feel as though no one could tell her story with that much depth. I wouldn't have been able to do that without my own life experiences to draw from in a vulnerable, honest way. I felt as though it was my duty as the actress and the person that she personally selected to do this that I’m going to tell her story and with those types of sensitivities then I needed to bare myself as vulnerably and honest and as real as I possible could of.”

Danyel: “Can you tell us a little about the conversations that you had with Miss Franklin about this?”

Jennifer: “Well we would speak weekly. I actually miss hearing from her and in those conversations I didn’t realize how much she was speaking from a real place like real life experiences. And in her teaching me about her life, she ended up teaching me lessons about life and it wasn’t until I was filming and I’m like ‘wait a minute she was really speaking from experience.’... I feel when you suffer a loss like myself like her and many others you don’t like sharing those conversations with people who haven’t had it. So why would you want someone to tell your story who hasn't been through something as well? 

Danyel: “The fact that Aretha chose you for this part right after your performance in Dreamgirls that’s wild.”

 

The advice Jennifer Hudson would give young women listening to her conversation on ‘Black Girl Songbook’: 

Jennifer: “I always say if you keep at it it has no choice but to give in. Also, no one knows your potential the way you do simply do it because you love it, it will make room for you cause that’s how I got where I am. Even to this day I am doing it because this is what I love to do, nothing more nothing less. And if you’re doing what you love then you really can’t go wrong. And also it’s now always about how good you are but how good you are to work with.”

Danyel: “There’s a gem right!”

Comments