Spotify: Mic Check Podcast features Musician Epoque

 Afro-Italian Musician Epoque Shares How Her Music Helped Her Overcome Prejudice and Embrace Her Multicultural Upbringing 

  Spotify's original podcast series: Mic Check will head overseas to chat with Epoque, a compelling Afro-Italian musician whose music serves up a cocktail of different languages with a twist of rhythms and infectious beats, to discuss the inspiration behind her music, finding her identity as an Afrobeat/R&B artist, prejudice and more.

The episode comes on the heels of Epoque’s recent feature in Spotify’s RADAR Program - which introduces emerging artists to new audiences around the world. Spotify: Mic Check connects fans and listeners with the biggest creators from around the world through intimate conversations. You can listen to the full episode here.

 

Spotify Mic Check

 

Available to stream for free exclusively on Spotify, please see below for interview highlights in the episode: 

 Epoque shares why she infuses her music with different languages.

“During my travels, I was watching and learning from different people and cultures. I think I discovered how to balance and how to embrace my origins and my Italian sides. So now I think I'm complete. And during my travels, I have always tried to learn languages quickly… the language to feel a connection and be part of the culture. So if I know a language, why not use it? So my songs are mixed with different languages to define myself -- to define my identity to the public.”

Epoque shares the inspiration behind her song “Cliche” and how it helped her overcome prejudice.

“When I was in school, I went through a very bad period of my life in which classmates started talking about me in a bad way without really knowing anything about me. I never knew who started those rumors, so I never had the chance to confront this person and Cliche is the song of outburst towards that person and kind of liberation for myself.”

Epoque on how Spotify playlisting her first song, “Petite” led to her first record deal.


“The moment in which I realized that making music would have shaped my life. I think that happened after Petite, which was my first song as an independent artist that was playlisted by Spotify. Thanks to that, Universal Music proposed me a contract. In that moment I think everything changed.”

Epoque on the increased visibility of the Afro-Italian community in Italy.

“So the difference between Italy and other countries that have more connected communities of African origins is that in Italy, it's happening now. The Afro-Italian...we're seen just as foreigners finding a way to survive and struggling to have their legal ID. But Afro-Italians are having their moment right now. They are creating -- me included -- their identity. We were influenced by French people or Afro-American people to define ourselves. We have things in common, but we are different. And I think Italy has been slow in this case, but I think everything is changing right now.”

 Epoque shares her global message with listeners.

  “The global message to my listeners is: no matter what people think or what happened in the past, you have the power to challenge and define yourself and your future. Everybody has a talent and is unique.”

Comments