Spotify: Mic Check Season-Ender Spotlights Swedish Artist LOVA


When music lovers listen to playlists on streaming music platforms like Spotify, Amazon, or Apple, they tend restrict themselves to a genre of music or music from their country of origin. 


Spotify:Mic Check enables listeners to sample music and artists from other cultures, genres and countries. 

 

Spotify: Mic Check

Spotify will release the final “Spotify: Mic Check” episode of the year with Swedish singer-songwriter, LOVA, who is having a break-out year with the release of her first full studio album titled, “Grownish.” 

The “Spotify: Mic Check” podcast series has delivered on its promise to connects fans with the world’s biggest creators from around the globe through exclusively intimate conversations

In the final episode of the year, listeners catch up with LOVA in the studio as she records two NEW Spotify singles, including a cover of ABBA’s “Happy New Year.” Fresh off of her feature in Spotify’s RADAR Program, LOVA opens up about her journey to stardom and how musical influences including ABBA and Robyn inspired her to take pride in her Swedish heritage. You can listen to the full episode here.

 Below are interview highlights in the episode:

LOVA on how seeing Robyn in concert at a young age inspired her to write.
“I remember my first concert was seeing Robyn in Stockholm, and that was so inspiring. I remember that super vividly. She was talking a lot about how she started writing her own songs and started her own record label and, did a lot by herself and she really took control over her own career, which was super inspiring. I also got to see that you don't just have to be a vocalist as a female. You can also write your own songs and you can start your own label and produce, and if you just set your mind to it, you can do everything. And that just was exactly what I needed to hear to just keep on writing songs.”


LOVA on how she discovered her love of music.
“I've wanted to be an artist forever since I was six, seven years old when I started writing songs. I was in a singing competition called Lilla Melodifestivalen when I was around 12 or 13-years-old and then I really got a taste of the whole circus, and just like the interviews and being backstage and rehearsals and traveling and just everything around it, and I fell in love in that as well, it wasn't just about the music. I just felt that everything was so exciting and thrilling and just it really drew me even more into music.”


LOVA on how her parents turned down her first record deal and how it propelled her forward.
“And I remember my parents being at the meeting and they were like, We kind of need to just slow down here, let's look at this and think about it, and we'll see. And then they were very quick to just say no to it all because they had the final opinion because I was 12 or 13 years old. And I remember I was so pissed off at them back then. I thought they had completely destroyed my career and I was like, there is no way that I was going to do music after that. And yeah, I was so, so sad. And now looking back at it, I honestly think that was the best decision they have ever made around my music and my career.”


LOVA shares how ABBA’s “Happy New Year” fills her with pride for her country.
“I've listened to this song pretty much every New Year's Eve of my entire life. And ABBA is ABBA, and I grew up listening to them, so it’s very fun and special for me to be able to do a cover of this song and represent Sweden in a way.”


LOVA gives advice to aspiring young singer-songwriters.
“To anyone who wants to be an artist, the advice I would give is to first off just take a moment and figure out why you want to be an artist, what type of artist you want to be. What do you want to say with your songs? The more you know and the more clarity you have, the less people can affect you with their opinions and thoughts. And it's going to feel more authentic if it comes from you, the artist who's going to stand behind this music, hopefully for the rest of your life.”

Listen to Spotify:Mic Check here. 

Comments