"All the Wiser" Host Kimi Culp -- Podcasting That Makes The World A Better Place

 In its three seasons, All The Wiser has talked with people who have experienced life's most challenging events and come out stronger for it. The podcast's episodes unleash that existential question we all ask ourselves when hearing or reading about someone's misfortune. How would I handle that?

In the latest episode of season four, Pastor Jose Hernandez explains how he went from gang member to a beacon of hope. It's a wild journey, but with Culp as our guide, it's an emotional and ultimately revealing ride.  

During the three seasons of the podcast, host Kimi Culp has talked to people about addiction, mental illness, transphobia, sex trafficking, school shootings, and suicide. You'd think these episodes would be downers. But the opposite is true. These episodes are life-affirming, inspirational, motivational, and uplifting. 

All The Wiser has an "if they can do it, so can I" vibe. In addition to the inspiring stories, credit for the show goes to host and creator Kimi Culp. Her experience includes work as a producer for NBC, ABC, and The Oprah Winfrey Show

Today, we thought we'd turn the interviewer into an interviewee. We had a lot of questions for Kimi Culp, largely because she's unique. After all, who gives away $2,000 to the guest's charity on every episode? Why would someone share their battle with mental illness on their podcast? Why not keep it secret like the rest of us? How do you make the tough transition from working for ABC, NBC. and Oprah Winfrey to podcast creator and host?  

There are a few editor's notes in the Q&A for the simple reason that I cannot help myself. I think I have a problem.

Q. Why a podcast?


A. There is a family history. My grandfather was the “Voice of Cleveland.” He was a famous radio host who used to share the news of the day, play records and tell stories. I remember sitting on his lap as a little girl, holding the microphone – and I have his microphone in my office now. So, there’s a lineage for me in telling stories.

I also started the podcast because, during my 20 years as a journalist, I was most passionate about producing in the field and having intimate conversations with people. Connecting with a variety of people was one of my strengths. 

(Note: Culp may be one of the best interviewers in the podcast industry. Yes, that includes you, Joe Rogan.)


Q. How did you come up with the title, All the Wiser?


A. Paige Nolan, my friend and coach had been following the evolution of this project through many conversations and cups of coffee. Paige helped me come up with the name. We brainstormed a million different ideas – but this notion of wisdom kept returning. It’s this idea that by simply listening to stories well-shared, we can be changed – we can be made wiser or all the wiser. 


Q. I listened to your July 2019 episode when you revealed your bipolar disorder condition. That must have been difficult, to say the least. And in that episode, you became the guest with GMAs Holly Gordon acting as the interviewer. How did you decide to share with listeners and the world? And why did you do that?


A. I did it for several reasons, mainly because my producer, Erica, forced me to!  It sorta spilled out of me in a meeting with Erica. She was curious about my motivation to do the podcast, why I had been so drawn to these stories of suffering – and I had a moment of pause and then realized a big part of my answer had to do with my own experience. 

Also, practically speaking, I need to warn her that I will sometimes be a little manic and email her a lot. And then I may go away a little bit. So part of it was getting mature enough in a professional setting to have some transparency, which makes for a better working relationship. Most of all, it was a moment of vulnerability between two colleagues who became friends. 

Erica suggested that I share my story on the podcast, and at first, I was terrified of the idea and thought it was just not feasible. Of all the things she could ask me to do….Seriously? I'll go skinny dipping at the launch party in front of everyone before I would possibly tell people I was bipolar.  

It was in my resistance to her idea that I realized that I had been asking people to talk about really hard things while I was so afraid and unwilling to share my hard things. I realized that I was taking something without necessarily giving - and that felt incongruous to me.

The people who have been guests on my podcast gave me a lot of courage. Early in episode four, I interviewed my friend, Monica, who lost her mother, father, and brother on the same day. She had never spoken publicly about it. And she chose to have that first conversation with me. She wanted to raise awareness about mental health and honor her parents and brother. That is courage, with a capital C, and Monica trusted me to honor her story. 

I ultimately asked my friend, Holly. to interview me for the episode of “my big reveal.” She's wickedly smart and a trained interviewer. I feel so safe with her – there wouldn’t be any gotcha moments. I spent hours editing and going back over the recording. I picked apart my answers, and in hindsight, I can see where I had the desire to control the message. It was so hard to share this part of myself that I was ashamed of and embarrassed about.

It’s funny now that I'm in a different place where I talk about it openly. It doesn't seem as big now compared to when I did it. Then, it was like, I can’t breathe… I'm about to tell thousands of strangers something I've tried to keep secret my whole life. 

 (Note: According to mental health disorder statistics, 1 in 4 U.S. adults suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder.)


Q. How did you develop the thematic premise of the show?


A. I went through many iterations, starting with wanting to focus on women and understanding their stories. Then I reflected on my career – I thought about what I was drawn to as a journalist who spent two decades traveling the world and interviewing people. Rather than celebrities or politicians, I remember the moments with everyday people.

The ones I couldn't get out of my mind were the ones who had endured suffering and had wisdom to share. It was a woman who had both legs amputated below the knee at age 19 because of septic shock. Or the woman who spoke about making love to her husband with no breasts. Or the mother of two who met her kids one day after school with some pots and pans, and they all marched down the street like a band – because why not?

I was drawn to stories with depth, stories with weight, and some greater meaning. 

In addition, I knew it was possible to engage an audience with a high-stakes story; there is a hook, but the bigger point is how the story changes the person.


Q. How was the transition from news reporter to podcast host?


A. I've told stories in lots of different ways. I left network television to author a book, which used photography and people's love letters to their dogs. And then, I went on to make a documentary about my best friend and her husband’s journey with ALS. So I moved on from network news because it became clear that the cost of being in the news business means you're living in a reactive place. And you're often far from home and the people you love. There wasn’t a benefit because I didn't believe in the stories we were telling. I was covering celebrity trials and fluff pieces that didn’t matter to me. By writing the book and creating the documentary, I began telling stories I was proud to share.

As I moved away from the big media companies, the stories got more important to me, and the budgets got smaller and smaller. There is no longer a director of photography, a director of lighting, or a sound engineer. You become all of that. As a result of the podcast, I learned technical skills I didn't have before. It’s very different to produce content with a little budget and limited resources. It requires an entrepreneurial spirit and lots of problem-solving skills. So everything I’ve done since leaving film and television, I’ve initiated on my own, and I’ve had to tap into new and different parts of my brain. And that has been exciting to me, frankly. 

Out of all the forms of storytelling I've experienced, podcasting feels the most intimate to me. When I sit down for an interview for All The Wiser, it doesn’t feel like I am going to work – it feels like I am me. Without podcasting, I would still be endlessly curious and connecting with people to learn about their lives. The podcast is just an extension of who I am.

(Note: podcasting has an intimacy with the audience that other media do not.) 


Q. How did you develop the concept of the mini-episodes? A Little Wiser?


A. In the beginning, we wanted to be a weekly podcast. It probably takes ten times as long as one would expect to produce a full-length episode. An extraordinary amount of detail, precision, and thought are put into it. We knew we couldn't produce the quality of those episodes every week – but we wanted to be a weekly podcast for our listeners. A Little Wiser was born from that intention. It's been and will continue to be an evolution.

This is a space where we can try different things, have fun, and take more risks than we can with a longer episode. Long-format episodes inspire people, and we want to help people take inspiration from the story and make positive life changes.

Based on the feedback we've received on our full-length episodes, we know it's possible. One listener was a workaholic drinking and numbing himself, gaining weight, and just down on life. After listening to the podcast, he became so motivated by people's stories of healing and personal transformation that he decided to make a change himself. He stopped drinking, lost 60 pounds, and got into therapy with his wife. These stories motivated him to prioritize his health, focus on his relationships, and begin making meaning in his life. That’s a powerful Instagram DM to receive!

Another affirming story came to us from Florida during the pandemic, where a high school teacher in an underserved community listened to specific podcast episodes for part of the classroom curriculum. Each student listened and then reflected in art about their own mental health, and she sent us their pictures.

A non-profit that runs as a place for healing and recovery for girls coming out of sex trafficking invited me to speak so I could share the stories from the podcast as examples of people surviving trauma and getting to the other side of suffering. 

They're all testaments to the power of human stories.


A. What was the thought process behind donating $2,000 to a nonprofit for each episode?


A. The second I heard about Tom's Shoes and Warby Parker, I was drawn to the idea of one-for-one models. I love those brands because of their commitment to giving back. They created businesses and led with their hearts and awareness of the world.

I'm fortunate to be in a position where I was already donating to charities. It felt very aligned for me to partner with a foundation to apply that giving in new and different ways.

I had never heard of anybody using podcasting as the vehicle for a one-for-one model. I knew it could be impactful, and I wanted to try it. And frankly, it’s a lot of fun to call these charities and say somebody picked you to receive a donation! It’s meaningful, and it’s received with such gratitude.

For me, it is the perfect convergence of cause and story. As someone committed to philanthropy, this is an exciting way to diversify giving and help charities tell their stories.  

(Note: Counterpoint this act of giving with Alex Jones benefiting off the Sandy Hook School shooting to hawk products to his listeners.) 


Q. What does a one-to-one podcast mean to you personally and to your listeners? 


A. One-to-one is me wanting to be as cool and thoughtful as the people who invented the concept! 

The name says it all, and I like the way it sounds. It's true: for every one story we tell, one charity benefits. 

I honestly don't know how much it matters to our audience, but I like to believe they can feel the beating heart of our show and our belief in and support of charities is part of it. 


Q. When do you record and produce your podcast and production? Production values are excellent, although I heard in your season four episode zero, that you're making more improvements. What can listeners expect in season four in production? 


A. I have recorded podcasts from high-end professional studios to my daughter's closet and everywhere in between.

You can't have intimacy and connection with your listeners without great sound quality. All of it is consumed through your ears! Getting the best sound has been a learning curve. 

Our most exciting change is sound design - bringing music into our episodes. This is the first time we're introducing original music compositions.


Q. In each episode you interview a person or persons who had experienced trauma in their lives, how do you identify possible guests and how difficult is it to convince them to share on your podcast?


A. My career has been devoted to finding original, unique stories. Inviting someone to work with me and be a guest on the show is a negotiation of trust. Our stories are deeply personal, and trust looks different for everyone. People may trust me because they know I worked for Oprah Winfrey. They might want to talk to me and vet me before committing. Some say they want to listen to three or four episodes before agreeing. There is always an exchange of trust, no matter the situation. 

There are a few ways we identify guests and stories. Our stories come from a lot of research, our guests suggest stories to us, and we cold call charity organizations asking for help. One of the best interviews came through a cold call –  my associate producer, Tara Daigle, asked the organization if they had any great stories. They said, “We have a guy who spent 17 years in prison, and he is a volunteer for us, and he is a beautiful writer. He has been out for six months now. Are you interested in talking to him? We're like, yeah, we'd love to talk to him. He called me, and I was blown away by his story and how he told it. 

Ultimately, I view our guests as teachers of what it means to be human and endure suffering. Learning from them and sharing their wisdom is an honor.


Q. In May, you did an “Ask Kimi anything” episode. It was very successful. Would you consider more?


A. There are many pieces of me and stories of my life that I haven’t shared, some harder than others. Sharing the more challenging pieces, where shame still exists, is complex, and that will be an evolution. When it feels right and safe, and I'm super clear on why I'm telling it, then, yes. I'm excited to be with the audience on that honest, sometimes scary journey. 


Q. One of the episodes I found so intriguing was May 26th, 2022, where you interviewed the mother of one of the Columbine killers and a mother of a Sandy hook victim. How did you get both moms to talk with you?


A. Sue Klebold was far and away, the most difficult conversation. I wrote a very heartfelt letter and sent multiple examples of the podcast. I was nervous about the conversation because she doesn't give many interviews. What I've found, and I found this with Amanda Knox, too, is that trust is very hard to earn when the media and the public have assaulted you. There's a wall up. In most interviews, I go in relaxed and with my shoulders down. In contrast, I was nervous when I interviewed Sue.

When Sue saw me see Dylan as a person, it felt like a tipping point that changed the energy - a softening. I acknowledged her grief. Being empathetic and compassionate toward her was a natural reaction for me.

For my interview with Scarlett Lewis, who lost her son at Sandyhook, a dear friend emailed me out of the blue and said I needed to meet her. She took my breath away when we first spoke. She said yes right away because her son is her motivation, and telling his story has become her life's work. In the fight to end mass shootings, she is a true warrior.

In the end, one mother was much more reserved and did few interviews, while the other mother had a message she would shout from the mountaintops. Both of their stories matter. 


Q. What do you have planned for your listeners in season four?


A. One of my favorite interviews is coming up with the season. Well, they're all my favorites, but this one took me. Her name is Meyli Chapin, and she survived a terrorist attack in Nairobi.  She articulated the story beautifully, and we connected on a human level.

Her story is more than just about the 17 hours she was trapped in the hotel room with terrorists above and below her, but it is also about the trauma she experienced as she walked out of the hotel and returned to the safety of her home. She's real, raw, and inspiring. I'm looking forward to that episode.

We also have a comedian this season named Paul Gilmartin, who will be great – he is the host of Mental Illness Happy Hour. He makes everything from addiction to depression really funny. 


Q. You noticed that season four would contain advertising that you assure listeners will be carefully curated. How difficult was it to find products and services that will be helpful for your listeners?


A. I'm working with a company, Red Circle, which is a relatively new platform that partners podcasts with brands. It’s an exciting partnership as they understand our audience deeply.

Their job is to bring me opportunities with brands that make sense for our audience. You can expect only things I have vetted that I stand behind and hope will be of interest and value to our listeners. 

(Note: This is how responsible podcasters should advertise. Selling male enhancement pills on your podcast, not so much.)


Q. What do you know now about podcasting that you wish you knew when you started the podcast? 


A. Everything!

I would say that it's ten times harder than it looks.

I would say that discoverability matters. You're in a landscape of millions, and creating good content is not enough. If you believe in your content, the goal should be to reach as many people as possible. Discoverability and finding your own creative ways to market and find your community is essential. I never thought that would be such a big part of the job. 

Recently, I had a conversation with a millennial who wants to start a podcast. It would have been impossible for me to answer any of her questions four years ago. Now I can mentor and shepherd her. I am certainly wiser about podcasting now than I was four years ago.

Most importantly,  you are only as good as the people around you. My producer, Erica Gerard, associate producer, Tara Daigle, and composer, John LaSala, are incredibly talented. They also happen to be really good humans.  I only work with kind people :)

(Note: Great advice here for aspirational podcasters.) 

*********
Podcasting can bring people together or keep them apart. Some podcasts like to stoke outrage, fear, and hate, creating a false "us versus them" mentality. Other podcasts like All The Wiser reminds us that we are all in this thing called life together. 

While some podcasts end each episode with multiple reasons why you should hate people that may be different than you, let me leave you with a quote from Kimi Culp that proposes a perspective more enlightening and ultimately more life-affirming.

"If you can inspire people, wrapped in a story that is entertaining and weave in the pieces of what people learned and how they changed – that’s a model that makes a ton of sense to me."
Kimi Culp. 

Photo of a young woman leaning against a wall smiling.

 








Comments