Mentally Gil Podcast Premieres: The Headspace Of Creators

The new Mentally Gil podcast exemplifies what makes podcasting such an ideal media format for listeners. This new podcast, which premiered on October 20, deals with mental illness. Yes, there are numerous other podcasts that deal with mental illness, although not enough. I'll just note that there are more podcasts that instruct you how to get washboard abs than get your head straight. In a battle between a six-pack and finding my mental happy place, I'll take the head health every time.

What makes Mentally Gil l so unique is...everything. From its smart-ass podcast name -- a takeoff on mentally ill because the creator and host is Gil Kruger -- to its cutesy, make you laugh title song that begins, "His name is Gil, and he's mentally ill."

This is how creator and host Gil Kruger frames his new podcast: "On the Mentally Gil podcast, I interview some of the world's biggest YouTube and social media creators about their mental health journeys. Season one centers around anxiety, OCD, and burnout. The show also explores the connection between mental illness and creativity"

Now, as creator and host of his own podcast, Kruger gets to showcase his on-air talents. And he's superb at it. He's a terrific host with nicely woven interviewing skills, supercharged sonic energy, and vocal empathy.  

Kruger was able to step away from his busy schedule for this interview, and his time is appreciated.


Q&A with Gil Kruger of the Mentally Gil podcast

Q. How did you develop the topic for your podcast? After all, mental health is a touchy subject.

A. It was early in the pandemic and like many people, I was feeling very anxious, but there was still a stigma attached to talking about such feelings. Many of the mental health podcasts I sought out involved experts and doctors and gurus talking about this stuff, but I heard very little from people who were actually the ones suffering. That’s when I had the idea to do a podcast where I would only focus on stories from the people who were going through it.


Q. You have extensive experience in podcasting via Rooster Teeth and as a script developer? How did that prepare you for this role as a creator and host?


A. Actually, the consulting I did for Rooster Teeth was my first dip into podcasting. I don’t want to say too much about that project, but it was a true-crime story set in the world of YouTube, so it made a lot of sense for me to try my hand at it. My background is in film and TV. I produced two feature films and oversaw the development and production of a dozen digital series at companies like Fullscreen and eko. I’ve learned a lot about storytelling and marketing as both a buyer and seller of content, and from observing the creators I’ve worked with.

Q. How did your educational experience at NYU in film and TV production prepare you for podcasting?

A. At NYU, I took sound design and other courses that really shaped how I viewed the importance of audio in storytelling. In a movie or TV show, it’s half of the experience. My show’s executive producer, Zac Stuart-Pontier, is an accomplished podcaster and we met very early on at film school.

Q. How did growing up in North Jersey impact your professional life?

A. I grew up thirty minutes from Manhattan. My parents were (and still are) obsessed with Broadway, and they took advantage of our proximity to the city by taking me to many, many shows. We also lived next to a town with a great arts scene that had three independent movie theatres. There’s no question that the location had an impact on my eventually entering entertainment.

Q. Why focus on popular creators from YouTube and other media?

A. It’s the world that I know the best. I’ve been working with video creators for ten years, and I’ve seen a lot happen: some have quit, some have burned out and eventually returned, others lost themselves in the hamster wheel and are only now learning who they are inside. In future seasons, I’d love to open up the series to interviews with influential people from all walks of life. Gabby Douglas is a dream guest.

Q. Can you give us a heads-up on some upcoming guests?

A. We just released our first two episodes with Grace Helbig and Lauren Riihimaki (LaurDIY). Coming up are creators Kelsey Darragh, Allison Raskin, and Anna Akana.

Q. What will be the most challenging part of podcast hosting?

A. The most challenging part hasn’t been hosting so much as just overseeing the whole thing and finding the right collaborators. I’m not just the host but I’m also the researcher, the executive producer, the marketer, the brand sales guy, and so forth. The timeline from having the idea to launching the show took almost three years.

Q. How do you view podcasting as strictly an audio medium? How about when a video component is added?

A. I’m not an audio purist, but I prefer podcasts that are produced and which lead the listener on a journey. My show doesn’t have a video component because it’s highly produced—sections of the interviews are condensed or re-arranged, there’s narration, sound design, music, and even skits. It would be very difficult to make a video version of my show. There are a couple of podcasts that I think make very good use of the video medium, though: The Colin & Samir Show and Jay Clouse’s Creative Elements.

Q. On your Twitter feed, when you announced Mentally Gil, you wrote: Spoiler: We’re all nuts. What did you mean?

A. I won’t say everyone, but most people are going through something. One of the messages of “Mentally Gil” that I want people to hear is that they are not alone in their struggle. If listeners pick up on that, then I think I’ve done my job.

Q. How are you monetizing the podcast?

A. I paid for the show out of pocket, but managed to make a deal with online therapy provider BetterHelp, which saw some early materials and responded well to it. I’m very grateful for their support. I’m still pounding the pavement trying to land more sponsorships.

Q. Finally, what do you want your podcast to say about the state of how society deals with mental health issues? I mean, how bad are we?

A. I’m not trying to make any big statements with the podcast, but personally, I think there’s a lot more work to be done in normalizing conversations around mental health. We also need as a country need to provide better access to mental healthcare. I don’t think any therapist I’ve ever seen has taken insurance. 

*********

I've listened to the two episodes that have been released to date, and they're both ear worthy for several reasons.

First, Kruger is an excellent interviewer, and he displays those subtle but important skills in both episodes. Unlike some podcasts hosts who can't control their guests from blurting out their entire story, Kruger is patient and empathetic with his guests. He helps them unfold their stories carefully, with no demand for lurid details or overhyped stories.

Second, the guests do not have these horrendous childhood tales that make you as the listener go, "That's why." No, their stories of burgeoning anxiety are more complex and ultimately more instructive for listeners.

No doubt we all connect creativity with mental illness. Go to the Van Gogh exhibit to appreciate the connection.

And check out Mentally Gil. Kruger helps us ultimately to understand ourselves better. And we all need that. 


Graphic that shows a pill with Mentally Gil written on it.


Comments