Notes On Loving Podcast: The Ethics Of Loving & The Choice To Be Loved

 There's a lot to love about a new British podcast called Notes On Loving.

 This podcast "looks at perspectives of implementing love into your everyday life for Black people in Britain." I love that intention. So many podcasts are afraid to define their audience for fear that it will limit their audience. I think this podcast is fearless. It is what it is.

 The podcast is hosted by self-proclaimed "lover gyal, (her words, not mine)," curator, and director Aliyah Hasinah. I'm not entirely sure what that description means, but it doesn't matter because Hasinah's audience gets it.
 
About the podcast, Hasinah says, "Following the Black radical feminist tradition of looking to embody and practice an ethic of loving, as an active choice and lifestyle, over this season we’ll talk about all the types of love and how we can embody this as babes based in the belly of the beast aka Babylon Britain."

I've listened to the trailer and the first episode, and it's obvious to me that Hasinah knows her audience. From the soft, pleasing organ background music that made me feel like I was at a spa to Hasinah's supple, pliable, and creamy voice, Notes On Loving works hard -- and succeeds --to create a vibe for its listeners. 

Her interviewing skills are sharp without being sharp-edged. She's an excellent listener, and it shows with her adept follow-up questions.

I am from a different generation (older if you must know), a different nation, and a different race than Hasinah, yet I found myself connecting with her concepts, her vibe, her insights, and those of her guests.

Hasinah describes herself this way:  "My name is Aliyah. I’m a curator, writer and filmmaker whose work focuses on decolonial approaches to history and the present day. I curate exhibitions, produce events, festivals, creative strategies, consult on campaigns/projects as well as making films and writing poetry, scripts, and shit captions. I also facilitate and public speak, basically if I enjoy it, I do it."

Now, that's a self-description you don't hear often. But, I love it. Hasinah isn't giving you a summary of her LinkedIn profile like most podcast hosts. She's offering her listeners a wide-open, unfiltered view of her as a person and a host.

When talking about love and the central topic of the podcast, Hasinah observes, "It’s important to me that love and care are at the center of my practice, so we can envision and awake new possibilities for ourselves and others, I believe that’s where the true innovation lives. This sometimes means hard conversations are had, but having them enriches the work and understanding further. I will always speak my mind, as I have no business speaking everyone else’s minds."
 
Notes On Loving is an exploration about love, relationships, and choices. It is definitely not one of those relationship shows where the host and guests discuss such routine activities as, "My boyfriend doesn't pair his socks" or "My girlfriend won't let me watch football."

No, there's more going on here. For example, in the trailer, a guest observes,"When we just seek pleasure, we just find pain." 

That's cutting through the morass of loving with penetrating simplicity.

Here are some notes on upcoming episodes:

October 2 -- Guest Alex Holmes - Clinical hypnotherapist, and
author of “Time to Talk: How Men Think About Love, Belonging and Connection” "Alex is a master at getting people to the core of themselves, he works supporting men through fatherhood, boyhood and the transitional moments we need to learn to love."

October 10 - Guest Melz Owuzu - Hasinah explores their love within academia, and as a form of spirituality and interpersonal relationships. Founder of the Free Black University, Melz’s practice is informed by their lived experience as a Black queer transgender neurodiverse working-class individual deeply connected to community.

October 30 -- Guests Tania & Haja - Aliyah chats to Tania and Haja about growing through love and surviving London. Tania is an actor, director, poet and co-founder of Black in the Day; a submission based photo archive documenting the lives and experiences of Black people in the UK, hosting events, talks and exhibitions.

November 11 Guest IGGY LDN - Exploring the process and portrayal of love in his work, Hasinah speaks with award-winning filmmaker, artist and writer IGGYLDN. Emerging at the height of the post-Moonlight cultural zeitgeist, IGGYLDN’s films are emotionally dense and touch on themes of identity, community and coming of age.

Notes On Loving is produced by Transmission Roundhouse podcasts, which announces that it is "powered by young people for curious minds." 

Here's what great about podcasting. You don't have to be Black, British, or young to enjoy Notes on Loving. Hey, relationships and love are concepts that transcend national and racial boundaries. Host Aliyah Hasinah has a specific audience in mind for her show, but I'm sure she welcomes listeners from all backgrounds and locations. 

After all, writer Henry Miller once said of loving: "The only thing we never get enough of is love; and the only thing we never give enough of is love."

 





Comments