The Black Sherpa Podcast: Empowering Social Mobility

One of the strong points of independent podcasting is that people can define their podcast's goals and objectives without that corporate shadow hovering over them, whispering about cost per minute (CPM) ad rates, download numbers, and content that appeals to the widest possible listening audience. 

Instead, indie podcasters can design a customized podcast for a specific audience with sharply defined messages. And that doesn't mean that the indie podcast cannot attract a sizable and enthusiastic audience.

The indie podcast, The Black Sherpa podcast posits a noble goal, an earnest sincerity, and a desire to affect positive change.

The Black Sherpa Podcast was founded by Nyambe (Yam) Sumbwanyambe in 2022 in order to address the lack of diversity in the corporate world—particularly among people from disadvantaged backgrounds or marginalized communities who are looking to break through systemic barriers that can hinder social mobility.

This podcast provides listeners with the tools and information they need to break down barriers and advance their careers in the corporate sector.

This is how Yam started every episode: "Welcome to The Black Sherpa podcast. The truth about what it takes to get ahead in life and business is out there; it's just not evenly distributed...yet. The Black Sherpa is all about helping to commit to actions today that your future self will thank you for."

The podcast's subtitle is deceptively simple:  Yam and friends talk social mobility.

Here's Yam in his own words: I'm your host, Yam, and as a father of two, I am committed to creating a more equitable and inclusive society for my children and for future generations."

Yam

Yam continues: "Unfortunately, talented individuals from disadvantaged backgrounds or marginalized communities often face additional challenges in their personal growth and career progression. This is due to the narratives and behaviors that exist within society, which can make it even harder for them to succeed.

"Each episode features frank conversations with guests who share their experiences, insights, and strategies for success. Through these conversations, we aim to empower social mobility, one story at a time.

"As someone who has spent 15 years as a commercial leader at one of the world's leading pharmaceutical organizations, I know firsthand the importance of investing time and effort in a way that benefits both oneself and the employer. Unfortunately, many talented individuals miss out on these opportunities due to a lack of guidance and support."

Yam tells his own back story: "Growing up in Zambia, my parents worked hard to provide a better life for my siblings and me. Moving to the UK at a young age, I was grateful for the opportunities my parents' sacrifices had provided me. However, it wasn't until I matured that I truly understood the unique mix of skills that my upbringing had instilled in me. Resilience, adaptability, ingenuity, and a sense of humor were just a few of the traits that I had gained.

At the start of my career, I struggled to thrive in a corporate environment. I didn't have the necessary information to understand how to advance and failed to ask the right questions. My worldview was too narrow to think big enough to accelerate my growth and impact. As a black man in the UK, I faced many of the cliché narratives and felt the need to cover my insecurities and seek validation in the wrong ways and places.

Today, I am more aware of my true position in the world. While life may not be fair, there are ways to level the playing field, especially when it comes to career advancement. I have learned that good processes and relationships matter, and great results come when you pay attention to both. I am now better equipped to ask for help in achieving my goals and to provide support for others in similar situations.

Overall, my experiences have shaped my perspective on social mobility. I am grateful for the blessings that my parents' sacrifices provided me, but I also recognize the challenges that come with being a black man in the UK. Through it all, I have learned that there are ways to overcome obstacles and achieve success by embracing my unique mix of skills and seeking support when needed."

Here's the symbolism inherent in the podcast's unique title. The Black Sherpa podcasts name is inspired by the Sherpas of Nepal. Just like the Sherpas serve as humble guides, providing invaluable expertise to visitors attempting the most challenging of journeys, the Black Sherpa is committed to serving as a guide for achieving social mobility, an equally challenging journey.

Yam observes: "Our podcast helps you climb your own mountain by sharing practical insights from our guests' experiences. As the Black Sherpa, I am your humble guide, helping you tap into and learn from both the good and bad times in our guests' careers, the experiences that have served them well in the long run."

 Yam has produced nine episodes so far, with more expected.  He began in October 2022.

The episodes are interviews with acquaintances who hold positions of influence and power in the pharma, marketing and healthcare industries. The interviewees are individuals who have overcome adversity and achieved success. Their collective goal is to work together to create a more equitable, diverse, and inclusive society, where everyone can maximize their potential.

The interviews are insightful, with Yam never varying from his key messages. That's easy to do when you are interviewing friends.

The sound production quality is excellent with intro and outro music that does its job, and an easy flow to the conservations.

Check out The Black Sherpa Podcast. There are key lessons here about getting ahead when society would prefer to leave you behind.

****************************

 

This review is part of an ongoing series of reviews, recommendations, and essays about Indie podcasters -- their craft, their challenges, and the critical role they play in podcasting. These entrepreneurs display skills as disparate as hosting, sound production, graphic design, scriptwriting, interviewing, marketing genius, and financial watchdog. They are the heart and soul of podcasting.











Comments