An Interview With An Indie Podcaster: Jennica Sadhwani from Multispective

Multispective is an independent podcast that started in January 2022. It's a show worth your ear time because it enables listeners to follow vicariously the obstacles the guests on the show battled and ultimately overcame.

Here's the mission statement from the Multispective creators: "Multispective is all about building perspectives. No story is one-sided, no two journeys are the same, and people's lives are never as they seem."

The co-creator / host of Multispective, Jennica Sadhwani, notes:
"We believe each person has a unique story to tell. Experiences, both good and bad, shape our everyday lives. Many of us go through similar things, yet our stories are never the same."

Multispective is a podcast that shares these stories of triumph through tribulations. They invite guests from all over the world to share their life experiences, providing their perspective on society and culture today.

The name of the podcast itself is inspired, suggesting a view from many different angles and, of course, perspectives.


 We were able to sit down with the wonderfully talented Jennica Sadhwani to discuss her life before podcasting and her indie podcasting career.

Ear Worthy: Where did you grow up?

Jennica: I was born and raised in the fast-paced city of Hong Kong!

Ear Worthy: What was the experience like at Shanghai Starriver Bilingual School (SSBS)?

Jennica: I currently still work at SSBS. I think teaching in general has been one of the most satisfying jobs I’ve had. It gives me that sense of purpose I’ve always been in search of. I worked in the hospitality industry before – including several hotels and a travel agent. It taught me a lot about myself: how to listen, service others and anticipate needs by observing, all skills I value and use today. Teaching allows me to create and leave a lifelong impact on the children of our future.

Ear Worthy: How about attending the Hong Kong Polytechnic University?

I was a student at the HK PolyU, studying my masters in Hospitality Management. I loved it there! It was highly research focused, which developed a deeply introspective and analytical side in me. It was great (although exhausting) studying here while working in a hotel because I was able to learn about the macro industry, and apply them on a microscale within the hotel. E.g. Learning about trends of automated service, and then brainstorming with my hotel’s management team the practical ways we could implement that within the hotel.

Ear Worthy:As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

Jennica: It always had something to do with helping others. When I was a young kid I wanted to be a doctor (really because I thought that was the only way to help people), but later on it was a therapist, and then a child welfare social worker.

Ear Worthy: When did you know you wanted to be a podcaster? And why?

Jennica: I originally wanted to have only an Instagram channel featuring brave and inspiring stories (something like humans of NY…)! As I was throwing out this Instagram idea, I was suggested to do this as a podcast, as “I have a knack for bringing out deep conversations and asking great questions”. The idea to start a podcast was in 2020, and I started it in early 2021. The rest is history!


Ear Worthy:How did you come up with the concept for the podcast Multispective?

Jennica: I’ve always been fascinated by peoples’ lives and stories. There’s just so much complexity in a person than meets the eye, and the more I indulged in conversations with people, the more things made sense.


A seemingly irrational decision backed by a trauma journey not only cleared judgement but also brought about a deep sense of empathy for the pain that resides; there were always little nuggets within their story or learnings that I could somehow relate to.

I started out the podcast with two friends, and we brainstormed ideas, and someone somewhere said “…yes, sharing multiple perspectives and versions of stories”. For some reason, that stuck, and we decided a play on words with Multispective.

Ear Worthy:How about this concept: "Multispective is all about building perspectives. No story is one-sided, no two journeys are the same, and people's lives are never as they seem." How did you develop that mission statement?

Jennica: It always comes back to the fascination of people's complex lives and stories. You can have two individuals with parallel circumstances such as grief that handle it so differently, yet bond over their profound emotional pain of loneliness, and still take away such unique sparks of wisdom from it. We can ALL connect over something; be it the circumstance, that specific emotion, a lesson learned, if we just stopped, asked and listened. With listening comes this deep sense of compassion for others around and maybe, just maybe, will we have the capacity to judge less and love more.

Ear Worthy: How did you meet your co-workers Chris and Stephan?

Jennica: Reddit! What a world is that place! I put up a post saying what I was looking for, and they reached out, we met and that’s where it all began!

Ear Worthy:What are the roles of each person?

Jennica: They are both audio editors and engineers. They have the technical know-how with sound engineering.

Ear Worthy:How did you financially support the podcast launch and then its growth?

Jennica: It’s been out of pocket since its conception. It’s a cut from my main job's salary.

NOTE: You can support the show: https://www.patreon.com/multispective

Ear Worthy:Is podcasting harder than you thought?

Jennica: Oh, god, yes! I started out initially as just a host, and didn’t quite realize the tediousness of all the other tasks that were required to run the pod. It is also a very saturated market, so you may have great quality content, but that just isn’t enough to stand out. It has to be a perfect balance of everything from the production to marketing, timing, consistency and so on. I struggle the most with the marketing part, it takes endless work, time and creativity!

Ear Worthy: How did you become such a good host?

Jennica: My first few interviews were over prepared (with an hour long pre-call followed by guided questions and a template script), over recorded (sometimes we would rerecord my questions to perfection), over edited and just over everything. It used to take us over 10 hours from preparing to releasing an episode at the beginning.

One day, I came across an interesting story and reached out to the guest, fully expecting it to be as usual. He said he didn’t want to do a pre-call and was available to shoot the next day without the guiding questions or script (he’d done this a thousand times over). I was nervous, but aware that if it turned out as chaotic as my anxious brain was leading me, we could edit post-production or scrap the episode altogether. I did whatever research I could do, and it ended up really great! It was all just about listening, being genuinely curious and fully immersing myself in their story as they told it.

Ear Worthy: How do you acquire guests?

Jennica: Several ways, there are podcast directories that connect podcasts with guests. I browse through Facebook groups, Reddit pages, or I may find a guest from YouTube. I’ve had some great referrals from previous guests, and also many people reach out to me via email. Sometimes I might hear about a topic or social issue that intrigues me and I want to dig into stories of people that’ve been through it, so I start my rabbit hole search.

Ear Worthy: What are growth plans for Multispective?

Jennica: Growth in download numbers per month for sure and sponsors within the mental health and wellness field. It would be great to provide resources and direction to listeners that may feel stuck in their own lives. I would love to feature some celebrities on the podcast and our subscriber count and engagement our YouTube channel more too.

Ear Worthy: Would you be interested in a partnership with a large podcast network?

Jennica:There are several great podcast networks with podcasts just like mine, and I think it would take our podcast to the next level in terms of visibility and engagement. However, I would have to be cautious of the autonomy I would have or lose on the podcast.

Ear Worthy: What do you see for yourself ten years from now? For the podcast?

Jennica: Is it wild to say that I’d like to be a full-time podcaster and the podcast to be in the millions (subscribers/ followers)? I think what’s most important is that people are feeling inspired and positively impacted by the stories. That it lifts listeners out of their dark moments and gives people a hope and reassurance that they never have to be alone in their journey.

Ear Worthy: Thank you, Jennica, for taking the time out of your busy day. How are you so nice to take the time to answer these questions?

Jennica: Haha ☺ I’ve actually enjoyed this! Learning and reflecting as I go. Thanks for this, it’s actually been pretty inspiring!

*********************************************

Check out Multispective.  It's a podcast that can make you think of how others and yourself cope in this world. 

Here is what Jennica wrote for her website about Multispective:

Dear listener, 

Hearing the countless stories of traumas and inner struggles drove us to create this platform. We hope that sharing real-life stories, told by the people who lived them, will help us push aside our judgments and allow us to rebuild our love and compassion for humanity.

 

 

Comments