Latest Episode Of The Comment Section With DREW AFUALO


 Drew Afualo and Spotify dropped the latest episode of The Comment Section with Drew Afualo featuring Afualo’s conversation with singer and songwriter Chappell Roan.

In the episode, Singer and songwriter Chappell Roan sat down to talk about getting accosted in Pilates class for being a Chappell lookalike, feeling self-conscious about frolicking, being a freak at the club, the first person she truly fangirled over, watching Family Guy while high, why you should embrace the cringe, and so much more.

Chappell Roan currently boasts over 32M global monthly listeners on Spotify, up from 7M when her hit single Good Luck, Babe! was added to Spotify’s Today’s Top Hits in April 2024. “Good Luck, Babe!” is Roan’s most listened to song on Spotify, with over 331M streams globally. The song is also featured on Spotify’s 2024 Songs of Summer predictions list.

Some highlights in the episode include:

On Chappell’s early career journey and struggles
Chappell [2:40]:
Professionally was signed in high school, which should be illegal. That's weird looking back, but like 10th year and after just years and years of pushing and pushing and pushing. I'm from like Southern Missouri and like moved to LA, and it's just the most cliché story ever. But yeah, 2020 ran out of money, moved back in with my parents working the drive through, got a drop on my label, broke up with someone I thought I was going to marry, man.

On inner child work and having fun
 Chappell [3:16]: Oh man. Wasn't going to work out regardless. And then I started like I, I just really was like, I'm going to do the pop thing, and I'm just going to go for it. And I have no money and I really like drag and like all these like weird Gucci looks, but I can't afford that. So I'm just going to go to thrift stores and start thrifting things I think are ridiculous. And that would be, that would make my 10-year-old self really happy.

"So my whole life and career changed when I did like inner child work. And I think that's why that's like why my career like skyrocketed because I started to like to have fun and like be glittery and not take it seriously."

"I think that's what people latch on. To like when I, I dedicated my projects to honoring my inner child and like, that's when it started working, which is like so affirming that like you have all the IT all in you."

On getting accosted in Pilates class for being a Chappell lookalike
Chappell [6:50]: I went to Pilates this morning and the entire class was full. And the instructor was like on the microphone. And she was like, hello, welcome. You look just like Chappell Roan. Do you know who that is? I was like, yeah.

Chappell: One time I- Well then. OK, I'll finish this story. Then she was like blabbing about Chappell Roan, whatever. And then at the end, she's like, you seriously look so much like her. Do you know who that is? Do you like her music?

Drew: You said no, she sounds like a bitch, though.

Chappell: And I was just– part of me wants to be like, what makes you think I would like her?

On The Comment Section with Drew Afualo, the host and her guests comb through their war zone comment sections together while discussing the themes of racism, misogyny, and bigotry that arise. 

Let's face it. The comments section on any social media platform is a dumpster fire of rage, hate, racism, misogyny, and conspiracy theories born of extremism and fueled by fringe media outlets pandering to their base.

Afualo, best known as TikTok’s “Crusader of Women,”  has a "no—BS" approach to shoveling misogyny out of the TikTok app via viral takedowns.

Afualo is also a women’s advocate, a proud Samoan who often uplifts her heritage and others in the AAPI community, she’s a huge sports fan (she used to work for the NFL), and a fashionista on the rise. 

Check out The Comment Section with Drew Afualo. It's definitely a notch above the typical Spotify gabfest, where pandering for the largest audience and most downloads is priority one.


 

Comments