Handling grief is profoundly tough, unpredictable, and deeply exhausting, involving a non-linear mix of shock, sadness, anger, and physical fatigue. Opinions are mixed regarding whether the intense pain fades or simply becomes a lifelong ache people grow used to.
Emotions bounce randomly between denial, anger, sadness, and acceptance rather than following neat steps. It causes real physical stress like extreme tiredness, trouble sleeping, and upset stomachs. Of course, we know that societal discomfort with open sadness forces people to hide their pain.
That's why a podcast such as Life With Grief is so critical with helping people deal with their grief. The Life With Grief podcast is a support and empowerment show hosted by Grief and Soul Purpose Coach Tara Accardo. It is designed to be a safe space for grievers to normalize the complexities of loss, explore post-traumatic growth, and navigate life after tragedy.

The podcast aims to validate a wide variety of losses—including the death of a loved one, relationship breakups, and identity shifts. Accardo draws on her personal experience of sudden loss to provide tangible coping tools, uplifting conversations, and actionable ways to live a vibrant life alongside your grief.
The show features episodes on navigating widowhood, understanding grief fog, setting boundaries after loss, and moving from pain to purpose.
Episodes combine solo coaching sessions with expert and guest interviews—such as conversations with trauma hospital chaplains and other mental health professionals.
The show heavily focuses on "moving forward" rather than "moving on," teaching listeners how to integrate their loss while embracing personal reinvention.
Ear Worthy did an interview with creator/host Tara Accardo, who told us why she started podcasting.
"Losing my parents to cancer six months apart—and then my 19-year-old dog, Princess, less than a year later—is what started this journey for me six years ago. I started Losses Become Gains as a blog in November 2022, and within a month or two, I realized I was tapping into something bigger than I expected. By early 2023, I was working toward my Grief Coaching Certification through the Institute of Professional Grief Coaching (IOPGC), and once I felt equipped to guide people, I started offering one-on-one coaching."
Tara continues: "Around that same time, I picked up a more professional microphone for another project, and something about it just clicked. It felt aligned in a way I didn't expect grief work to feel—natural, and even fun! I knew it was calling to me in a bigger way. I kept coming back to one question: how do I reach as many grieving people as possible? The blog was already doing that, but I truly began to feel like my soul’s purpose was for more."
Tara explains the beginning and evolution of her podcast. "The podcast launched in May 2023, the week of what would've been my parents' birthdays—May 20th and May 23rd. It felt right to begin there. I originally called it the Losses Become Gains Podcast, but a year in, I renamed it Life With Grief because that's really what we're doing on the show. Navigating life with grief, not after it, because our losses really become a part of who we are. It’s something we learn to carry, hold with gentleness, and it transforms us."
Tara confesses: "Through my podcast, one-on-one coaching, Substack (Life Beyond Grief), new Letters of Light project, and the other modalities of support, uplifting and empowering grievers isn't just her work, it's deeply personal."
One of the episodes that impacted me the most was #226, when Tara sat down with Grief Educator Heidi Dunstan, who lost her husband Mike unexpectedly to a heart attack in 2018—the day before her 40th birthday, after she performed CPR trying to save him. They talked about what early grief actually feels like (numbness, brain fog, trauma) and what it took to feel steady again.
I think episode #218 was more illuminating for me. In this episode, Tara discussed grieving
styles, something I knew nothing about. In the episode, Tara pulled from real research here, specifically the work of psychologists
Terry Martin and Kenneth Doka, who identified a spectrum of grieving
styles that explains so much about why we all move through loss so
differently.
Here's what I learned in the episode:
- The difference between intuitive and instrumental grieving, and why both are completely valid
- The five griever types: The Feeler, The Doer, The Blender, The Bottler, and The Spiraler, and how to identify which one you are
- How attachment theory connects to the way you experience and express grief
- Why some people bottle their grief inward, and how it can quietly show up in the body instead
- What's happening for the Spiraler, and why feeling stuck or consumed by grief doesn't mean you're failing
- How to use your grief style as a map, not a box, so you can start giving yourself exactly what you need
To punctuate what a collaborative and collegial atmosphere prevails in independent podcasting, Tara Accardo has a close relationship with Nina Rodriguez, who is the creator/host of the Grief And Light podcast.
Tara told me: "Nina is truly such a special human being, I adore her! What I love so deeply about this community of guides and fellow coaches or educators in the grief and loss space is it is genuinely so collaborative. In a time where social media (and life in general) can feel so competitive and full of imposter syndrome, there has never been a time when I felt like I didn't belong or that my work wasn't worth someone's time compared to another."
Tara continues: "What’s wonderful about my friendship with Nina, and many other grief podcasters, is that we’ve done multiple conversations together—both on each other’s podcasts, and on panels through this incredible organization called Reimagine. Every single time it gets better, more uplifting, and deeper into topics that grievers all over the world will benefit from hearing. In my mind, why wouldn’t we do everything we can to bring more of that to the world? Because that is absolutely my purpose in life: helping people feel seen, validated, and loved on after enduring a heartbreaking, life-altering loss."
It takes a special person to help people cope with their grief. Tara Accardo, through Life With Grief, is that person! While most of us fumble for words at a viewing or funeral, Tara Accardo knows how to console people and get them moving forward. That's a rare skill. And if Tara isn't talented enough, she is also the creator/host of Taste Toast Travel, weekly show that explores global destinations through the lens of food, drink, and cultural traditions.

Comments
Post a Comment
Thank You for your input and feedback. If you requested a response, we will do so as soon as possible.