Indie Podcaster Profiles: Michael Washington Brown

 Creator/Host of the Echoes In the First Person Podcast

 Intro: Describe the podcast

Echoes in the First Person is a cinematic historical storytelling podcast that brings overlooked and often forgotten figures back to life. Each story unfolds in two parts: the anonymous “Monday Monologue,” written and performed from the subject’s first-person perspective, followed by the “Thursday Thread,” which reveals the individual’s identity and
explores the historical context behind the monologue.

The podcast is not an interview show or a commentary on current events. It is a dramatic, immersive experience rooted in research, performance, and the belief that human nature does not change. Although the stories come from history, the emotions, desires, conflicts, and ambitions at their center remain deeply relevant today.

Q. What is your bio/background?
A. I am a Los Angeles-based filmmaker, screenwriter, voice-over professional, and podcast creator. My creative life has always centered on character, performance, and stories that deserve a wider audience.


As a screenwriter and filmmaker, I have developed feature-film projects and explored the lives of historical figures who have shaped society's social fabric. I am particularly drawn to individuals who have been overlooked, misunderstood, or erased over time.

My work in voice-over and performance has also given me the opportunity to explore how a person’s inner life can be communicated through the spoken word.

Echoes in the First Person brings these interests together: historical research, dramatic writing, acting, sound, and cinematic storytelling.

Q. Why and how did you start the podcast?
A. The idea for Echoes had been quietly developing inside me for some time. The research and development required for a fully formed screenplay can take a year or more. As a consumer of narrative podcasts, I began to realize I could create a similar experience in a condensed, vignette-style format—telling complete stories while still delivering a cinematic emotional experience.

That realization led me to create Echoes in the First Person. Instead of waiting years to bring each story to life, I could use the podcast format to create intimate historical portraits consistently. The medium allows us to move quickly while still honoring the research and emotional complexity of each subject.

Q. What are the key themes of your podcast?
A. The central theme is rediscovery: identifying obscure or overlooked individuals whose stories still have something meaningful to say.
The creative challenge is to research each person thoroughly, understand their circumstances, and then inhabit their life through an impartial first-person monologue. The show initially presents the subject anonymously in the Monday Monologue and reveals them in the accompanying Thursday Thread.

The show also explores ambition, love, betrayal, injustice, resilience, power, and the consequences of human choices. While the stories are historical, they remain relevant because the fundamental human desires behind them have not changed.

Q. What is your primary challenge as an independent podcaster?
A. The primary challenge is finding the audience for the show. Echoes occupies a particular space: it is historical, dramatic, performance-driven, and designed to live primarily on the podcast platform. We do not interview guests or comment on daily news, so listeners need
to understand the show's unique experience and cadence.

I don't see myself as competing with other podcasters. I believe in collaboration and in creating space for different kinds of storytelling. The challenge is simply helping the right listeners discover what Echoes offers.

Q. How has your podcast affected your non-podcast life?
A. The podcast has enriched my life through the people I have met and the creative collaborations it has made possible. Our team is made up of full-time creatives working in film and television, and the show has become a shared artistic endeavor.

We are also preparing to launch Echoes Guest Voices in 2027. This initiative will give Los Angeles actors the opportunity to perform the Monday Monologues and co-host the Thursday Threads. It creates another avenue for collaboration while inviting new performers to help bring these important stories to life.

Q. Which aspects of podcasting are most challenging?
A. The hardest part is making sure the business side does not interfere with the love and creativity that inspired the podcast in the first place. I cannot lose my “why” while managing the “how.” Metrics, downloads, marketing, and distribution all matter, but if I become overly consumed by them, I risk losing the reason I began this journey. I always serve the stories. Balance is essential.

Q. How are you building your audience into a community?
A. We have an extremely loyal and invested community of listeners. At first, I felt uncomfortable asking for their additional support or endorsement. Over time, I came to understand the importance of inviting people to participate: “You have not because you ask
not.”

We are now leaning into our listeners’ ideas, questions, and suggestions. I see each listener as an ambassador for the show. Community is built by creating a genuine relationship with the audience and trusting them to help share the work with others.

Q. What does the future hold?
A. I am excited about the future of Echoes, while remaining mindful that its evolution requires patience. We are approaching our one-year anniversary in October 2026 and expect to surpass 100 published episodes of evergreen content. I am proud of our consistency and of
the considerable work our team contributes each week.

We recently completed a twelve-episode series, The Grudge, following The Making of a Villain. A new limited series, The Witness, is also on the horizon. These series keep the show fresh for both the team and our listeners.

I believe Echoes Guest Voices will expand our network and introduce the podcast to new audiences. One day, I envision Echoes in the First Person as a live theatrical event, featuring guest performances, live music, and original scoring. This project began as an idea. Today, it is a reality — and I am grateful there is a place in the world for these stories.

If you love History podcasts and narrative podcasting at its finest and most poetic, check out Echoes in the First Person

Comments