Creator/Host Charlotte Bayala shared: " I
started my first podcast in February 2020, one month before the world
shut down for COVID. I didn’t know much about podcasting. I simply had
something to say and happened to have a Blue Yeti Mic and a MacBook.
"My
husband had been diagnosed with thyroid cancer seven years before that, and over that time I had also been a full-time yoga and meditation
teacher. When he was first diagnosed everything I did to care for myself
fell apart and once I realized that I had to adapt the things I used to
do to find calm and regulate my nervous system to fit the new life I
was thrown into."
The Cancer Caregiver Podcast is an award-winning audio resource created for people who are caring for someone with cancer. Hosted by long-term caregiver, yoga, and meditation teacher Charlotte Bayala, the show delivers short, practical episodes focused on emotional survival, mindfulness, and self-preservation for caregivers.
The show explores the heavy cognitive burden of decision fatigue, acting as a medical translator for family, and managing relentless responsibilities. The show discusses living Scan-to-Scan and addresses "scanxiety," how the fear of upcoming test results contracts time, and why it feels difficult to plan a future.
One of the many reasons I recommend this show is that it offers actionable self-care with short, bite-sized strategies, such as breathing exercises and boundary-setting, designed to fit into a busy, high-stress life. The show also deftly tackles hidden grief, guilt, hyper-vigilance, and the difficulty of relaxing during calm periods.
The Cancer Caregiver Podcast is for the relentless cancer caregivers who tirelessly prioritize their loved ones but struggle to care for themselves amidst overwhelming responsibilities, societal expectations, and feelings of isolation.
Charlotte shares: "I felt the loneliness and overwhelm of caregiving when my husband was diagnosed with cancer over a decade ago. I know how hard it is to take care of yourself when you feel like it’s hard to handle everything caregiving throws at you. It took me a lot of time to figure out how to prioritize my own care with cancer in the house, and it robbed me of time I could have enjoyed with my husband."
Charlotte continues: "I know how difficult it is to always have self-care at the very end of a to-do list that you know you’ll never get through. The feeling of always being in fight or flight, running on pure adrenaline and trying to figure out how to relax. Feeling overlooked and undervalued. Hanging on by a thread."
Charlotte confesses: "What I needed back then is someone to help me see through the fog of caregiving and show me how to make my own care a priority. Someone who could show me a way to make caring for myself easier for me to do. A way to find options that would work for me that revolve around the things I like to do instead of trying to make myself enjoy something from a random list that I hate. Most importantly, I needed someone to tell me that I wasn’t alone and that wanting more for myself didn’t make me a bad person."
I think one of the most impactful episodes for me was the August 4th show -- When Every Phone Call Feels Like Bad News. In that episode of The Cancer Caregiver Podcast, Charlotte explored the phone anxiety and hypervigilance that can develop while waiting for oncology calls, scan results, treatment updates, or other medical news.
She explains why your body may freeze, hold its breath, or brace for bad news before you even know who is calling and why that stress response can continue long after the phone stops ringing.
Living inside the cancer scan cycle can create a constant background state of alertness that affects far more than the moment of the call. Charlotte discussed how this ongoing caregiver stress can interfere with sleep, concentration, patience, relationships, and your ability to feel fully present during ordinary moments. You may be sitting at dinner, talking with your family, or trying to rest while part of your nervous system remains focused on the possibility that the next call could change everything.
Episodes of the show average close to 15 minutes, and Charlotte's voice and tone drip with empathy and compassion. With low-volume in the background, Charlotte introduces each show with a preview and then explains what her show is about so that new listeners can grasp the essence of the podcast.
Charlotte shares her maturation process as a podcaster: "As I grew up into a podcaster I started to learn about the shoulds and how to’s, trying to grow a show while also staying strongly loyal to my audience. But there was something missing and I knew it. About two years ago my husband’s cancer treatment needed to change, and I felt the same as when he was first diagnosed. Worried, anxious and ungrounded. I looked for a podcast that would speak to this new phase of cancer life and I couldn’t find one that was specifically for cancer caregivers."
Charlotte explains the evolution of the show: "I had put on my original show that I never felt I could strip away. Love Your Caregiving Life is about caregiving in general. So I felt like I couldn’t talk about cancer specific caregiving encounters with alienating a big part of my audience. Also, when I first started podcasting there was a backlash about using the term self-care, so the premise of that show never included my yoga and meditation knowledge."
"With the Cancer Caregiver all of that changed. In September 2024, I rebranded, and it was the best decision not only for the show but for me. I could speak more freely because I was talking about what I know to be true because I’ve lived it. I share the tools and techniques that I know do work for the life of a caregiver because I use them every day.
One day I decided to try something different, and I put a bonus episode in the feed. I titled them Just F$cking Breath. Five-minute breathing meditations always did better than the regular episodes. After a few trials, I realized this was a need I wasn’t filling."
"It took me a while to create and launch that show. By the end of the first year of The Cancer Caregiver, I had won or been shortlisted for a few awards and had started getting more requests to speak to caregiver groups in corporations, non-profits and conferences."
Charlotte says: "Even though I would love to have thousands more caregivers out of the 65 million be consumers of my show, it’s that one person I write, record and sometimes cry along with. That is why I am a podcaster."


Comments
Post a Comment
Thank You for your input and feedback. If you requested a response, we will do so as soon as possible.